Thursday, September 13, 2007

2007 so far...

I'm amazed at myself- I really haven't gone to the movies much this year. Earlier in the year, the movies I saw in the theater were all 2006 releases, like Dreamgirls. I had a period of two months without going to the theater at all! I finally went back for Blades of Glory. At the time, I really needed to laugh, and this one delivered! It's the usually silly and outrageous Will Ferrell vehicle- this time, mocking the world of competitive figure skating. I almost fell out of my seat laughing.



There was another two month break- and then the summer movie season began. I totally missed out on Spider-man 3, but from what I've heard, I didn't miss much.

Next was Shrek The Third , which, though amusing in parts, was a bit of a disappointment. Two and a half stars out of four. I think the series has run its course...but there are two more sequels in development. I think I'll pass.

Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End was a bit of an incoherent mess at times, but I still had fun watching it. Johnny Depp just rules. Three stars.

Ratatouille was the other "kids" movie I saw this summer. It had a much better story than Cars, though most of it was too sophisticated for younger kids. The animation was excellent, as usual for a Disney/Pixar film. Three and a half stars.

I'm a Harry Potter fan, so of course I had to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix three times in the theater! Many things from the book were left out or changed for the film, but I still enjoyed it completely. The kids are getting to be so good. Three and a half stars.

Dumbledore's Army- taking names and kicking ass!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yes, I am a Potterhead. I cried after reading the final book, and can't wait for the last two movies. I will definitely get the special edition DVD for OOTP when it comes out. I'm even going to buy a couple of action figures for my collection...

Finally, I think my favorite movie of the summer was Hairspray. Four stars. I left the theater humming and laughing. Great cast (especially John Travolta as the mother!), terrific music and story, just plain fun. I'd love to go to a sing-along showing, but none played in my area.




Not a lot I want to see this fall. I'm most interested in His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass. I loved the trilogy of books, and I hope the first movie does well so the rest are made. Sweeney Todd, based on the great Stephen Sondheim musical, is also coming out at Christmas. And with Johnny Depp in the title role, how can it be bad?

No comments: